Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Everybody Has a Story!- My Call to Ministry

Everybody Has a Story? Here's My Story
My Call to Ministry

I grew up in a small town called Cheraw, South Carolina. I am the youngest of five children. I was raised by my mother and a father who struggled with alcohol. We rarely went to church and I was left with a feeling of uncertainty throughout my adolescent years. During my ninth grade year, my father’s drinking was at its worst and we found out that he was cheating on my mother. My parents’ separation caused a lot of pain for my family and left me feeling even more uncertain about life and faith. After couple of  months of separation, I noticed a change in my father. He stopped drinking and started attending church.  Eventually he rededicated his life to Jesus Christ. This was a major turning point for me and my siblings because we finally had a Dad who was truly leading our family. During my tenth grade year, I finally started to understand about the love of God. I played baseball throughout high school and thankfully my coach was a Godly man. He took the time to show me love and taught me all about God’s love for me. I began attending church every Sunday, became president of my youth group and even started attending Fellowship of Christian Athletes. During this time I learned that Jesus had died for my sins, but I still had not truly accepted Christ as my Savior. 

I was blessed to receive a scholarship to play college baseball from a college in North Carolina, but like many students, I started partying and stopped attending church. In July 2001 when my baseball career was over,  I started coaching football at Catawba College, my life took another turn for the better. I befriended one of the coaches from the football team and he reintroduced me to God. One night he asked me, “When you die do you know where you are going?” I told him that I didn’t know and at that moment my eyes were opened for the first time. On September 1, 2001, I felt God leading me outside, so I decided to walk around the campus. It was during that walk that God got my attention. I was tired of worrying and not knowing where I was going. I was tired of not having a purpose for living.  I sat down by myself and asked Jesus into my life because I couldn’t do it without Him anymore. All at once, the weight I was carrying was lifted off my shoulders.  As John Wesley said, “I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.”

Eight days later, God blessed with the love of my life. Only weeks before, she had broken up with her boyfriend (a non-believer) and vowed only to date Christian men.  Kelly and I have been happily for nine years and are blessed with two wonderful boys and a girl (Trey, 8, Levi, 4 and Clara, almost 2). I would also add that Kelly is a wonderful wife and strong in her faith.

Together Kelly and I started a FCA program for River Mill Academy (a charter school in North Carolina), where we both worked. When we lived in Graham, we became members of a church and became involved in small ministry, the praise band. For about five years I have felt the calling into ministries but I was unable to step out into the unknown. Since that time, I have felt called to ministry, but I was reluctant to step out in the unknown.

About six years ago, Kelly and my sisters Tana and Dawn paid for me to go to Walk to Emmaus. A weekend without a phone and my watch didn’t feel like a good weekend to me, but at the last minute I decided to go.  I glad I did because Emmaus was one of most influential things that I have ever done.  I saw that weekend that God’s grace is much greater than I could ever imagine. I also discovered not only what I was saved from but I was saved for… my purpose in life. Emmaus gave me the tools to go out into the world and share the Good News. I was very blessed to be asked to go back and give the Fourth Day talk and it was at that moment that I felt God’s call even stronger. Unfortunately I still couldn’t move out of His way and I stayed with what I knew: recreation.

Two years ago I prayed for the strength to give my future completely to God. I read Galatians 2:20, “my old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who lives, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” This passage convinced me that I could surrender my destiny to Him.

God had since revealed to me that He wants me to help lead a flock and spread the Good News. That wasn’t the answer that I was expected to hear, but that is what God has asked of me. I know that being a pastor is what God has called me to do. God has taken me through all the Parks and Recreation jobs and taught me how to organize, budget, administer, etc. in order to be a better pastor. As Proverbs 16:3 says, “Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed.”

From the moment I accepted the call to ministry, God has blessed me abundantly. I have learned that unexpected grace is possible if we are open to hear God and allow Him to move in our lives. God definitely sent me to the two Churches I have and now serve Pine Forest United Methodist Church (Goldsboro, NC), Bethel United Methodist Church(Midland, NC), and Wesley Memorial United Methodist (Chester, SC)-(Current Position). God is continually doing great things. He has reaffirmed my calling by allowing me to:

·         Prepare and delivered many sermons and talks in a variety of venues;
·         Serve as Assistant Spiritual Director of a Chrysalis Flight;
·         Plan and organize many church functions for Family, Children, and Youth;
·         Visit with those in need
·         Officiated funerals and assisted in several
·         Develop a Local Mission Project (Divine Project)
·         Administer/Organize Bible/Devotion Studies;
·         Organize Marriage Retreat for Couples;
·         Organize Mission Trip
·         Work with young people both in church youth group and as a coach at the local high school
·         Prepare and submit budgets

Through the amazing grace of our Lord and Savior I have seen many folks come to Christ and seen many folks rededicate their lives. God is so good and He truly gets all the glory.


I am also very excited about what God is doing at Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church in Chester, South Carolina. Lives are truly being changed and excitement is coming back to this church.  During this year I still plan on continuing my education at Union Presbyterian Seminary as I strive to get my Masters of Divinity.  I do plan on getting involved with the local Chrysalis and Walk to Emmaus Community; and going on a Mission trip to Red Bird Mission in Beverly, Kentucky. Wesley Memorial UMC and myself are excited about what God is going to do; like Noah, we are preparing for rain and waiting on what God has in store for us in the days, months and year ahead!
I ask this question daily: What's next Papa?

God is all around and He knows the direction we ought to go. So my prayer is that we let Him have the wheel and get on the bus and enjoy the ride!

What's your Story?

Many blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment